Bicarbonate of Soda is a naturally occurring substance made from sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate.
Sodium bicarbonate is a white crystalline solid with a slightly alkaline taste. It’s often found in mineral springs and in its natural form it’s called nahcolite.
Bicarbonate of Soda can be purchased from any supermarket and is inexpensive. Store the box in a cool, dry place like the pantry or a cupboard.
Bi-carb can be used as a natural, safe substitute for chemicals in a myriad of ways around our homes. Experiment and find out for yourself.
- Add ½ cups or more of Bicarbonate of Soda to your bath water to soften your skin.
- Add one teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda to one-half glass warm water, and swish through teeth for a refreshing mouthwash.
- Add three tablespoons Bicarbonate of Soda to a basin of warm water and soak feet in the solution.
- Allergic reactions to creams or medication by rubbing Bicarbonate of Soda on the area.
- Apply Bicarbonate of Soda directly to insect bites, rashes and poison ivy to relieve discomfort. Make a paste with water.
- Bee sting: use a poultice of Bicarbonate of Soda and water
- Brush your teeth and whitens them with dry Bi-carb.
- Clean combs and brushes in a Bicarbonate of Soda.
- Dissolve one-half cup in Bicarbonate of Soda a bath of warm water for soft, smooth-feeling skin and a relaxing bath.
- Dust Bicarbonate of Soda under arms to deodorise.
- Mosquito bites & bee stings, ticks & blisters: use a poultice of Bicarbonate of Soda and vinegar.
- Relief from Acne, rub a little paste of Bicarbonate of Soda and water.
- Relief from cold sores. Rub a little paste of Bicarbonate of Soda and water on it.
- Relief from heat rash. Use paste of water and Bicarbonate of Soda.
- Relief temperature of feverish children with cool bath with Bicarbonate of Soda.
- Relieves razor burn.
- Relieves vaginal itch.
- Relieves, sunburn, mouth ulcers, sore gums, skin ulcers. One teaspoon in a glass of water and gargle.
- Gargle with 1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda in 1/2 glass of water. Freshens and cleans your mouth.
- Get temporary relief for bladder infection till you can seek medical attention.
- Freshen up oily hair by mixing 1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda to your shampoo, wash your hair. A great way to restore your hair balance.
- Soothe poison ivy rash or insect bites with a Bi-carb and water paste. Smear on gently and leave to dry.
- Sprinkle Bicarbonate of Soda on your wet toothbrush and brush your teeth or dentures with it.
- Sprinkle soda in tennis shoes, sports shoes, socks, boots and slippers to eliminate odour.
- Take a Bicarbonate of Soda bath to relieve general skin irritations such as measles and chicken pox.
- Windburn: moisten some Bicarbonate of Soda and apply directly to sunburn, windburn and pricklyheat.